Sunday, November 04, 2007

Hank Hates Baths

But off the record, he loves them. I think he keeps up the pretense of hating our bathing rituals for Slade's benefit because Slade truly does hate baths (as any self-respecting dog should?).

This morning I rattled the treat jar to summon Slade, who was napping upstairs. After treats, I click on Slade's leash, which immediately triggers wagging tails and howling. I smile and pat Slade on the head; he still thinks he's going for walk as I turn him around and head for the bathroom. He throws on the breaks when he hears the running water that I've adjusted ahead of time to a barely warm temperature, confirmed with a dip of my elbow. I wrangle Slade into the bathroom and he is quaking, humiliated through out the entire sudds-ing and rinsing process. Once we're finished, I towel him down and release him to run around crazily about the living room.

Hank is already attuned to what is going on in the bathroom, and he lingers just outside the bathroom door. I grab his collar, and he plants his weight in his "heels," pretending that he's not going anywhere. This lasts for a second or two and then he gingerly, almost eagerly, steps into the bath. Once I start rubbing his ears and massaging his shoulders, it's all over. He's leaning into the gentle pressure of my fingertips, closing his eyes in relaxation as if he is spending the morning at a top-notch day spa. "Calgon, take me away."

5 comments:

Ellen said...

I love Hank...but that's already on the record.

CëRïSë said...

What a great story.

Daniel said...

Very nice vignette. Well done.

utenzi said...

The bubbles around your pictures are very cute, Karen. And Hank is cute too, of course.

utenzi said...

I've never seen you do a meme, Karen, so just in case you've never been tagged--I decided to give you a shot. Details back over on my blog. Say hi to Hank for me. :-)