Sunday, October 28, 2007

Quirks

I have developed a habit of imagining myself getting shot, for a brief second, as I walk to my car. In addition to the shootings, I also imagine being attacked by a wild animal or something with rabies. It's not fully played out in my mind. It's just a breif interlude that happens a few times during the day, typically when I am headed to my car. It's similar to Ellen's fear of headlights not being turned on and constantly having to check. Similar in the fact that you can't tell your mind to stop and expect it to obey. It's like, "ok I wasn't shot THIS time." But then the next time I head to the car I look around cautiously and think, "whoa, could I have been shot?" Ok, I'm fine.

I think I need to stop working late.

4 comments:

CëRïSë said...

You know, today I actually checked the backseat of my car when I left the parking garage, because of a similar (although, I thought, long ago put to rest) irrational thought that someone might be hiding there. Weird.

Karen said...

Don't forget to check for people hiding under your car. That gets me too, sometimes.

David said...

But you always can run over people hiding under your car, unless you have a monster truck so they can actually walk under your car :D

Many years ago I had a plane accident, and I used to live alone in an apartment. All the sequence crashing-rescue-hospital-going home was somewhat blurred in my mind, but I wasn't too injured, just some scratches and burnings and a broken nose. The next day I went out, and I was all that morning with the strange feeling that nobody was seeing me, that I was kinda invisible (nobody talked to me); so I thought in some moment that I had died in the accident and I was indeed just repeating my daily sequence of everyday, but as a ghost. That sensation faded out only when I could talk that same day to other guys from the plane. Weird, isn't it?

Great blog, Karen, I liked the post about governments, quite interesting.

Have a nice day! :)

Angela said...

I still worry that at any moment I could be hit by a car. Sometimes I think about randomly getting shot too though. Today while walking home I imagined that as the car hit me, I would concentrate very hard and teleport myself out of the way. I'm pretty sure that's from watching to much Heroes.