Monday, August 27, 2007

Anniversary Crasher


So last week I crashed a golden anniversary reception for, oh actually I didn't even get their names. But their reception was at the PlaMor Ball room and the entertainment was Bobby Layne (heart throb!). I really like the Bobby Layne Orchestra and when I looked on their events calendar, I noticed nothing was on the schedule for the next few months. So I clicked the e-mail contact us link and asked if there was indeed nothing on the schedule. I got an e-mail back, from Bobby himself, saying that he was playing that week for an anniversary and I could come as his guest. So I went and had a fantastic time!

I'm also considering going to Greg Spevak tomorrow (also big band) but I'm really looking forward to the Tommy Bishop Band (big band) and their 60th anniversary party on Sept. 5. If you're interested, here's the schedule (or as my junior high school Bible teacher from Australia would say, shed-ule).

I love old people — maybe it was the first 6 years of my work-force life that I spent employed at nursing homes and assisted living facilities, but really the elderly are an exciting demographic. This was confirmed when I learned this past weekend on NPR's news quiz show, Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, that senior citizens living in retirement communities report having "relations" at least twice a month. Shocked but not entirely surprised (is that possible, because really I think that was my reaction).

6 comments:

CëRïSë said...

You were his guest? That's completely awesome.

Karen said...

Yeah totally, I know! I was gushing while reading the e-mail invitation. He's even more adorable in person.

Ellen said...

Is this going to lead to you going out with Bobby Layne?

Karen said...

Oh goodness no, that's ridiculous.

utenzi said...

Twice a month doesn't seem very often to me. Think about how much free time they have on their hands! Hell, sex--even with all those wrinkles--must be more interesting than bingo.

Karen said...

I guess I assumed that "elderly people", and my target age definition for "elderly" keeps ascending along with my age,stopped having sex. I like to think that my parents only had sex three times (out of civic duty)that resulted in myself and my two brothers.