Friday, August 03, 2007

Advertisements that I'm lovin'

"Meet/Meat me at Applebees" radio jingle, heard on KFRX 102.7. Goofy and catchy, this one is sure to leave you smiling, but probably not heading for Applebees.

Heard directly following the Applebee's jingle was an ad for Ashley Lynn's tanning salon. This ad features a couple of presumably shallow/ditzy females saying phrases like "I tan to keep up with my roommate's tan" and "Guys like girls with a tan," and "When I'm at the club, and I'm tan, I feel like I get more glances . . . and I do." But the best part is when the ad seems to come to a close and the listener suddenly hears a little newys-newscaster music intro (something you might hear along with the phrase "This just in") and the announcer says, "now for an important UV light update" then launches into statistics that say midwesterners are more prone to vitamin D defficiency than those who live on the coast. Artificial UVA/B is beneficial because. . . .

Funny.

But even funnier is the new electronic billboard (N. 27th st.) that now features an ad for same Ashley Lynn's salon: Two tanned and sinewy young adults next to the phrase "Faster and Darker". The best part of this is that the electronic billboard features several ads at once and switches to the next ad, which happens to be for St. Elizabeth's Medical Center, and reads: "If It's Cancer, Now What?"

This reminded me of another billboard I saw (West "O" ) which says, "Double-play, get KC Royals and Worlds of fun tickets for $29.00. From a marketing perspective, I thought that was a pretty good sales pitch. The two things kind of go together, you're already in KC, so why not? So I was thinking that St. E's should work out some sort of 2-fer-1 deal with Ashly Lynn's. Buy a year unlimited tanning, cancer screenings included?

Yep, that's why I make the big bucks in the marketing department.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

I hear that Ashley Lynn's ad all the time too. I keep waiting for the girl who says, "I love my tan." to say "I take it with me everywhere I go."

Terrible.

Unknown said...

Boys like me better when I have an Ashley Lynn tan. Yup. They do.

I hate the Dr. Johns commercials much more though. They seem to show a complete lack of education in gender roles, political correctness, and taste. The songs are catchy though.

Daniel said...

I recalled that Katie will be here tomorrow night.